Tomorrow we start our Active Healthy Living Week.
Being active has been proven to improve cognitive function – have a look at some of the following findings –
* Cognitive function improves from small bouts of exercise
* Children with reading difficulties benefit from physical activity including balance,timing & co-ordination
* Physical activity in child-hood may optimize cortical development promoting lasting changes in brain structure and function
* Physical activity such as balancing on one leg, juggling, throwing & catching stimulates the proliferation of neurogenesis (new brain cells) and can improve a child’s IQ. Cognitive benefits are maintained months after exercise cease.
* ‘Dose-response’ relationship is not applicable, meaning even small bouts (a minute at a time) of physical activity give benefits to brain function.
* Sitting for long periods of time is detrimental to health and learning.
* Regular bouts of physical activity across the school day not only results in greater health benefits but also higher academic achievement
* Lessons integrating physical activity are perceived as more enjoyable and more interesting compared to traditional lessons.
* Empirically deduced benefits of physical activity integration into the classroom consist of getting children more on-task, more accumulated physical activity throughout the day, and improving motivation, enjoyment, and confidence
* There is a big push in America to include more Physical Activity into STEM subjects to achieve greater attainment.
* Exercise for healthy adults increases brain volume necessary for higher order processing, attentional control and memory
* Adults taking regular exercise, even in small bouts showed greater memory and cognitive function and lessened pathological conditions such as Alzheimer’s Disease.
So all this week your daughters will be more active even in non PE classes.
The whole family can get invloved too.
Try the Step challenge – try to do at least 10,000 steps a day – take a photo of your step count each day and post on Facebook and the winner will receive a voucher for Country Fresh to get a few vegetables for the weekend!
So just how far is 10,000 steps? Have alook at the table below to help!
How far is 10,000 steps?
Steps KMs Miles
10,000 8 5
Drogheda 36.8 22.8
A Marathon 42.1 26.2
Dublin 86.9 54
Let us know how you get on! We will keep you updated on the staff’s progress too.